Bahn Mi Turkey Sandwich
This delicious Vietnamese recipe from The Mother Cooker is great for using up leftovers. The recipe uses turkey but can easily be swapped for any meat of your choice, or even tofu for a vegetarian option. If you prepare the pickles ahead of time, it can quickly be rustled up in just minutes.
Serves : 1
Total cooking time : 1 hour prep time + 5 mins cook time
Difficulty : Easy
Pickled veg - make ahead and leave in the fridge for at least one hour, preferably a whole week
- 1 carrot, cut in to matchsticks
- Large portion of cucumber, de-seeded and cut in to matchsticks
- 1 jalapeno pepper cut in to thin slices
- 80ml rice wine vinegar
- 80ml white wine vinegar
- Pinch of salt and sugar
- Water to top up if needed
- Airtight jar
- 2 slices of leftover turkey
- Handful of mixed salad leaves
- 2 tblsp mayonnaise
- Hot sauce to taste
- Handful of made ahead pickled veg
- Fresh coriander
- Small baguette, preferably salt and pepper variety
- 2 tblsp soy sauce
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Half thumb size piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- Juice and zest of half a lime
- Pinch of sugar
- For pickled veg, add match-sticked veg and sliced jalapeno to a jar and top with vinegar’s, salt and sugar. Make sure ingredients are covered completely, top up with water or more vinegar if required. Pop in the fridge for at least an hour but as long as you can.
- For dipping sauce, pop oil in a small pan and add garlic and ginger, cook for 2 mins to release flavour. Remove from heat, stir in sugar, soy and lime juice. Set aside.
- To assemble sandwich, coat inside of bread with mayonnaise you’ve mixed with desired amount of hot sauce. Add salad leaves, dip your turkey in to dipping sauce and coat generously. Add to bread, top with pickled veg and coriander. Any spare dipping sauce can be used to dip your sandwich in to.
Recipe from The Mother Cooker