Festive Yule Log
We've teamed up with chef Alex Head, the founder of Social Pantry, to share her delicious Festive Yule Log recipe. The perfect addition to the Christmas dinner table or even for a festive party, this tasty recipe will have all your guests impressed!
Serves : 8
Total cooking time : 1 hr
Difficulty : Medium
80g caster sugar
3 free range eggs
80g plain flour
3 tbsp dark cocoa powder
½ tsp baking powder
For the boozy cream filling
285ml double cream
2tbsp icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp Baileys
Crystallised orange slices
1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
2. Prepare a shallow baking tin with non-stick parchment paper.
3. Cream together the sugar and eggs until light and aerated.
4. Gently fold in the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder. Once combined, pour into the
prepared baking tray and carefully smooth the top.
6. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes.
7. Whilst in the oven, lay a sheet of parchment paper on your work surface and find a clean tea
towel to go underneath. Once thecake is cooked, remove from the oven and immediately turn the cake out onto the parchment paper. Peel off the paper that was in the oven and carefully start to roll the Yule log into itself using the clean paper and tea towel to protect your hands from the heat. Leave to cool curled up.
8. Whilst cooling, whisk the cream with the icing sugar and add Baileys to taste.
9. Once the cake is cool, gently un-roll the cake and place some whipped Baileys cream on the inside
of the cake. Do not smooth to the edges to avoid it pouring out when rolling.
10. Next, gently roll the cake back to a log shape, the same shape to when it was cooling.
11. Slice off the ends and dust a little icing sugar on top.
12. Serve on a gorgeous plate with garnishes of your choice.
Photos by Alex Head, Founder of Social Pantry